Thursday, June 24, 2010

First Impressions

The thing about first impressions is that although it means first, meaning initial thought or experience at that moment, they are usually hasty and based off of preconceived notion., I've never been one for first impression that's because first impression for me more often than not tend to be bias anyways. I'm the type where it takes some time for me to warm up to something or someone, I rarely like something when I first encounter it, I usually have to listen to a song 2 or 3 times before I know whether I like it or not, that also goes with people and places. So although it's not possible not to have first impressions I try to keep an open mind. That being said, Nepal is not exactly how I had imagined it to be in my head. This partly could be because I have been living in Katmandu which is the city and capital of Katmandu, which is very different from rural Nepal. To be honest Katmandu Valley isn't much of a Valley at all which can come of as a bit deceiving. The area is over populated, polluted both on the ground and in the air, the streets are riddled with endless vehicles honking and whizzing by with little regard, the water is scarce and the lakes, rivers and streams are undrinkable for the most part. I walk down pot whole filled dirt roads to the smell of trash burning and scary stray dogs. I mean all of this was expected being that I have traveled to similar places such as in India, and also because Nepal is the 14th poorest country in the world, but the experience even if you've had it before is still eye opening. It's really hard to understand poverty and these conditions coming from the U.S. Upon seeing these conditions my first impression was to think that voyage that I had strived so hard to get be apart of may have been a mistake. Maybe I should have gone to Brazil, or Kosovo, or even stayed in New York or even Boston and had a care free summer spending it with friends and family. But then I think, I'm letting my first impression get the best of me. If anything Nepal is a lesson as well as a humbling experience. Things that I have complained about in the past don't seem as important as they once did. Also I began to realize that instead of focusing on the negative aspects of Nepal that there are also many positive aspects as well that surely will outweigh the bad. The potential wealth of knowledge that I can gain from being here and take back with me and share with others is and will be vast. The connections both with my fellow New School travelers as well as Nepali friends will be something that will last with me forever. Not to mention my own personal growth from the many experiences that I will encounter. So on second thought maybe I'll give this first impression thing another try.

2 comments:

  1. One positive first impression that I have had is that no matter how tough it gets here, or no matter how poor a Nepali person might be, they are always so resilient and can make the best out of any situation. There is definitely something real about people who "keep on keeping on"...

    ReplyDelete