Friday, June 25, 2010

"Nepali Time"

OK, so prior to visiting Nepal we heard and joked very often about the concept of Nepali time, which amongst Black people we refer to as CP time or Colored People's time, meaning that if you ever attend an event that is being ran by Black people expect for it to start a half hour to an hour later than what they say. That's why whenever I have an event at my house and Black folk are attending I tell them 8 because I really want them there by 9, lol. So it seems as though Nepali's have this similar frame of thinking, which is cool by me. Now this isn't always true amongst Black folk, there's also a loop whole to this concept which in most cases there usually is and I'm beginning to find out that this loop whole also applies to Nepali's. So the loop whole is that when Black folk have an event and White people are the dominant participants things tend to start on time, maybe it's because we want to show that we're capable of it, it's just not our style. That's how I kinda feel about Nepali time here in Nepal, because whenever we've had events with Nepali's with just our group they have been pretty much on time. When I say we, I mean our group, which are representative of the "American way" I presume. So, I've been saying to myself, this concept of "Nepali time isn't true" maybe it's just a joke or something used to stereotype the people of Nepal. But then there have also been times when I have attended Nepal events outside of our group and without fail they have started 30 mins to an hour later than they were suppose to. Which got me thinking maybe there is some validity to this "Nepali Time" concept. So how can this dilemma be explained? I think the Nepali's have strived to be on time with us to show us that they too are capable of timeliness, it's just not their style. (Which on a side more conscience note leads me wondering why is it that some cultures feel the need to prove theme selves to Euro centric values/concepts as if it's the standard?, but that's an entirely separate blog, lol). Anyways maybe Nepali's are closer to Black folk than I originally thought. Maybe we can, all get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment